Treating drinking water

By  | 

BISMARCK, N.D. - Some people have been noticing a smell or taste of chlorine in their water.

Jim Kershaw, Bismarck's Water Plant Superintendent, says when the river runoff takes place, particles and different organics flow into drinking water.

He says this is when water treatment kicks in, city water treatment plants add chlorine. Kershaw says it's safe to drink.

“As long as you have some residual there, you're more likely to get sick from with no chlorine in the water, you could end up with cholera, typhoid, there's things that are out there. E-coli is a big thing, that's why chlorine is added as a disinfectant to the water to eliminate those water borne diseases that killed people hundreds of years ago,” said Kershaw.

Kershaw says runoff doesn't affect Bismarck since it has a horizontal collector wall which filters water under the bed of the river.

Mandan water treatment superintendent, Duane Friesz, says the chlorine smell and taste should be out of your water by now, since runoff has come to an end and the weather has warmed up.

“Normally what's associated with the taste and odor is usually the organics in the water this time of year, usually don't get any taste in odor associated from the chlorine,” said Friesz.

Kershaw says if you still do taste or smell chlorine in your water, put the cold water on and let it run for a bit.