Advertisement

Protecting yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning

(KFYR)
Published: Jan. 21, 2020 at 5:17 PM CST
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

In the wake of this past weekend's incident, we wanted to learn more about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

According to the Centers Of Disease Control, more than 400 people in the U.S. die from it each year. The gas can enter your home through your furnace or car if you have a garage.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide include dizziness, chest pains, upset stomach, vomiting, and other flu-like symptoms. The fire department says the only way to make sure your house does not contain too much of the poisonous gas is to use a carbon monoxide detector.

“Because of the fact that is odorless and colorless, it is like breathing air. We just don't know it's there, and the amounts of it can get huge. The only way we are going to know it's there is by starting to have the symptoms if we don't have the detector." Capt. Dana Summers of the Minot Fire Department told KMOT.

Summers said you should exit your home and call 911 if your detector reads anything more than nine parts per million.

Latest News

Latest News