National Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week

By  | 

BISMARCK, N.D. - This week is National Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week.

Carbon Monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, invisible gas that affects the body’s ability to carry oxygen throughout the body.

People that are most affected to Carbon Monoxide poisoning are people with heart and lung issues, children and older adults.

North Dakota Department of Health gives us some preventative measures on Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

"You want to make sure you have a working Carbon Monoxide detector on every level of your house. You want to make sure that you have Carbon Monoxide detectors near every bedroom. You also want to make sure that you check them monthly and replace them as per the manufactured instructions," said Mandy Slag, North Dakota Department of Health.

If your detector does go off, the Department of Health recommends you to leave your house immediately and call 911.