Morton County family files lawsuit against 2 companies after 2016 fatal home explosion

By  | 

MANDAN, N.D. - A Morton County family is suing two companies after a fatal home explosion in December of 2016.

The blast killed 58-year-old Elizabeth Howe and her husband 60-year-old Clyde Howe it also injured Elizabeth's then 17-year-old daughter Elianna Vazquez.

Now the children of Clyde and Elizabeth are suing Tri-Energy Cooperative and CHS, Inc. citing safety violations.

According to the suit filed in October in Burleigh County district court says the defendants Tri-Energy Cooperative and CHS, Inc installed a propane tank regulator on the unprotected side of the Howes home.

The lawsuit says this violates "provisions of National Fire Protection Association pamphlet 58, as well as industry practices for places with excessive snowfall."

The suit also claims the propane in the tank was not odorized so the occupants of the home would not have been able to smell a leak.

Both Tri-Energy Cooperative and CHS, Inc. deny the claims made in the lawsuit.

The house explosion was blamed on a propane leak.