Man wanted for murder to return to North Dakota

By  | 

PORT HURON (Times Herald) - The man who turned himself in to authorities in Port Huron early Thursday will return to North Dakota to face murder and arson charges.

Earl Howard, 41, appeared in St. Clair County District Court via video feed briefly Friday morning on a charge of being a fugitive from justice.

St. Clair County District Court Judge Michael Hulewicz explained to Howard the waiver to be processed as a fugitive from justice in St. Clair County is not an admission of guilt and he will go straight to facing charges in North Dakota.

Hulewicz denied Howard bail.

"You're going to be held without bail at such time as North Dakota comes back to get you, and they should be coming soon to come get you and take you back there to face the charges that they've laid against you in that state," Hulewicz said.

Burleigh County Sheriff Major Jim Hulm said authorities in North Dakota will be extraditing Howard within the next ten days.

A warrant has been issued in North Dakota for Howard on charges of murder, conspiracy to commit murder, arson, conspiracy to commit arson and conspiracy to tamper with evidence.

He is wanted in connection to a homicide just outside Bismarck, North Dakota that occurred Jan. 2.

Hulm previously said firefighters responded to a report of a house fire on the outskirts of Bismarck about 5:25 p.m. Jan. 2 where they found 42-year-old Chad Entzel dead with a gunshot wound to the head.

Hulm said investigators interviewed the victim's wife, Nikki Entzel, Tuesday evening and she has been charged with conspiracy to commit murder, conspiracy to commit arson and conspiracy to tamper with physical evidence.

For the original story click the link attached on the right side of this page.