MANDAN, N.D. - The victims of the fire are working to come to terms with what happened to their homes on Sunday and what comes next.
Many of the residents were coming by to look at the devastation and see if anything could be salvaged on Monday morning. Many were still in tears and shock that the home they knew was now gone. But they were grateful the community stepped up in such a big way to help.
Fire and smoke, wiping out an entire apartment building in just a couple hours. Now residents are trying to figure out what they’re going to do next.
“I think the hardest part is not knowing,” Quonshona Jones said.
Families with young kids say they've lost everything in the blaze and are speechless at the gratitude from the community
“To see how people just support each other and came through with the donations and even people bought rooms for the victims and stuff it was just amazing,” Shanteisha Austin said.
On Monday as firefighters spent hours combing through the building, the victims were at hotels right up the road watching person after person come in to support them with food, clothes, books, toys and more.
“I just I couldn't believe it people were knocking on our doors all day yesterday we have this for the kids and we have this for your dog it was I'm completely grateful,” Jones said.
While many don't know how long they'll be in the hotel, what they do know is they won't be responsible for footing the bill when they do find new housing.
According to Morton County officials many of the residents in the building, especially those who had recently moved in, did not have renters insurance.