Complete timeline of Dakota Access Pipeline construction, protest
Friday is a significant day for opponents and supporters of the Dakota Access Pipeline.
U.S. District Judge James Boasberg is expected to rule whether to stop construction of the project while the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe pursues a lawsuit against the Army Corps of Engineers.
It may seem like arguments over the project have been going on forever.
Public hearings, restraining orders, protests and court decisions are constantly dominating the daily news cycle.
For some perspective, here's timeline that chronicles the long and winding process that brought us to Friday's ruling.
On Dec. 22, 2014 Dakota Access, LLC presented an application to the Public Service Commission to build a 358-mile pipeline that would run from the Baaken/Three Forks play through seven counties in the western half of the state
The PSC deemed the application complete on March 25, 2015 and scheduled three public hearings in Mandan, Killdeer and Williston during May and June.
On Jan. 20 of 2016 the PSC unanimously approved the project with commissioner Randy Christmann recusing himself because a portion of pipeline land is willed to his wife.
Three months later protests against the pipeline began with a spirit ride on the Standing Rock Reservation.
April 29 Col. John Henderson of the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers held a public forum in Mobridge for Native Americans to express their concerns.
"My two-year old has no idea what this means for her, but I do and I have a voice and I will use it on behalf of her and all of those who can not speak for themselves," said Kathy Mosset.
Everyone who spoke at the meeting opposed the project. At the end of the public hearing Henderson addressed the crowd.
"It's our job to make sure these permits do not have a negative impact and do not damage the environment," said Henderson.
On July 25 the Corps of Engineers approved three easements for water crossings on Lake Oahe, Laka Sakakawea and the Mississippi River, the following day the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe files an emergency motion for a temporary restraining order to prevent destruction of sacred sites by Dakota Access Pipeline.
On Aug. 10 the first arrests of demonstrators protesting the pipeline were made.
Since then protests have grown in size and intensity. Gov. Jack Dalrymple signed an emergency declaration to manage public safety around construction sites and established a road block along Highway 1806 to control traffic.
On Aug. 24 a federal judge heard arguments on the temporary injunction to halt construction, and U.S. District Judge James Boasberg will rule on the injunction September 9th with appeals to the decision scheduled for Sept. 14.