After more than a year of negotiations and delays, Catholic Health Initiatives, which operates in North Dakota, has merged with Dignity Health to form CommonSpirit Health. The agreement was finalized in February 2019, according to a press release from CommonSpirit Health.
The $29 billion system operates more than 700 care sites and 142 hospitals across 21 states. CommonSpirit Health also announced in the release it will focus on “achieving success in five key areas”:
- Expanding clinical expertise across the system in primary, acute, and specialty care, and focusing on care for patients with chronic and complex conditions;
- Accelerating the shift toward providing services outside of hospitals to homes, the community, and online;
- Investing in technologies that make care more convenient and personal;
- Addressing the underlying causes of poor health and advocating for policies that improve health outcomes for the most vulnerable members of our communities; and
- Retaining and recruiting a highly-skilled and dedicated work force where people embrace service to others and experience a personal and professional fulfillment in their work.
CHI and Dignity Health previously announced that the new ministry will retain the names of local facilities and services in the communities where they are located.