Bismarck manslaughter trial rescheduled for the fifth time

BISMARCK, N.D. - A Bismarck man charged with manslaughter in the shooting death of another man last summer will have his day in court in September.

Thirty-six-year-old Aundra Fontenot is accused of shooting Derrick Lefthand in the chest and killing him in June of 2018.

Fontenot’s trial was supposed to start this week but was rescheduled, for the fifth time. The court docket shows the trial has been moved previously because attorneys weren’t available or stipulations.

Police say Fontenot owed Lefthand money and came over to his house in south Bismarck to settle a debt. Fontenot told police he felt threatened because the victims showed up with two other people, one with a gun.

Officers say Fontenot went into his apartment to retrieve a gun and they got in a verbal argument so he asked them to leave.

Fontenot says the victim charged into the home and that's when he fired a shot.

His trial is scheduled for September 18.