Bismarck Fire Department investigates storage unit fire

Published: Sep. 23, 2016 at 11:59 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Thick smoke and flames filled the inside of a Bismarck storage building causing damage to several units Thursday. Friday, owners are picking up what's left of their belongings.

Reporter Sara Berlinger stopped by the building and talked to the daughter of one owner who saw the destruction for the first time today, Sara?

Alan Monica, Breanna Pederson says she's devastated about what happened to her family's storage unit that's held their family belongings and antiques, for years.

The Pedersons spent the day picking up and sorting through charred family belongings.

"pictures, movies, antiques, we had a race car we had an antique snowmobile," said Breanna Pederson, Bismarck.

And it isn't the first time it's happened to them. The family once had a fire in their home. They're just thankful some items weren't damaged.

Several other units at the Bismarck storage building were also damaged by Thursday's fire. Other owners visited units to sort through what now belongs, in the trash.

"We take pictures we decide if we can keep it or not keep it, and if we keep it, we will put it in a dry area so it doesn't get more water damage, otherwise, we just throw it," said Pederson.

The fire caused a portion of the roof to cave in and the Bismarck Police are now investigating the cause. Pederson says they'll spend the next several days repeating step one.

"We just kind of been going back and forth going through the back trying to get some things and just kind of slowly taking it day by day I guess," said Pederson.

Four fire engines responded to the fire.

ORIGINAL STORY 9/23 11:59 a.m.:

The Bismarck Fire department says they responded to a storage unit fire early Thursday morning at about 6 a.m. on the 2400 block of Morrison Avenue.

When firefighters arrived, they found very heavy smoke, with flames coming from the roof of the building.

Then, the fire spread spread to a number of other units before they were able to extinguish the flames.

The fire department says they are still investigate the cause.