UPDATE: Oklahoma man arrested for attempted murder following Saturday night shooting in Watford City

Andre Morris
Andre Morris(KFYR)
Published: Sep. 18, 2022 at 3:12 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WATFORD CITY, N.D. (KUMV) - UPDATE (9/19 at 11:30 a.m.): An Oklahoma man was arrested this weekend following reports of a shooting at a Watford City hotel.

Police say 30-year-old Andre Morris shot six rounds of a handgun Saturday night at a party after being told by partygoers to leave for stealing alcohol. Two of the shots hit an individual in the leg.

Morris was arrested early Monday morning at an apartment complex and has been charged with attempted murder, eight counts of reckless endangerment, possession of a firearm, criminal mischief, and discharge of a firearm in city limits.

A public information officer with the Watford City Police Department says they believe this is an isolated incident.

UPDATE (9/19 at 11 a.m.): On Saturday, September 17 at approximately 11 p.m., the Watford City Police Department responded to multiple 911 calls of gunfire at the Inn at Hunters Run hotel at 3617 6th Ave NE in Watford City.

Officers arrived on the scene and located a single individual with two gunshot wounds to the leg. At the time law enforcement arrived on the scene, the suspect had fled the area.

The Watford City Police Department, McKenzie County Sheriff’s Office, and NDHP searched the area for the suspect. Canines were utilized to search for the suspect along with aerial surveillance operations. During the investigation, it was determined that 30-year-old Andre Morris of Enid, Oklahoma was asked to leave a social gathering in the hotel’s parking lot after trying to steal some alcohol. Morris left the party and returned a short time later with a handgun.

Officers say Morris then allegedly shot six rounds from a handgun toward the group of individuals at the party. Morris struck the victim twice with the rounds discharged from the pistol. The victim was transported by McKenzie County Ambulance for medical treatment.

After following up on numerous leads from the community, Morris was located on Monday, September 19 at 3 a.m. at an apartment complex not far from the crime scene. Morris was taken into custody without incident.

Officers were able to locate the handgun used in the shooting based on a tip from a local citizen.

ORIGINAL STORY (9/18 at 6 p.m.): The Watford City Police Department said one person is in stable condition after a shooting late Saturday night.

A spokesperson said it happened around 11 p.m. on the 3600 block of 6th Avenue Northeast. Police are asking for the public’s help finding a suspect.

Police don’t have a good description of the suspect at this time.

Police said there’s no threat to the public and this is not related to the shooting earlier this week.

A plane registered with the North Dakota Highway Patrol circled around the crime scene for about 90 minutes.