Family Thanks Neighborhood Heroes - KFYRTV.COM - Bismarck, ND - News, Weather, Sports

Family Thanks Neighborhood Heroes

Posted: Updated:

Earlier this week, we introduced you to group of people who saved a man from a house fire. After seeing our story, the man's family wanted to express their appreciation. And yesterday, they finally met their neighborhood heroes.

Shattered glass and soot is the obvious sign on the outside of what happened here. The family doesn't even want to think about what was lost inside.

"Pictures of my dad, my brother, my kids and family. Heirlooms that you can never replace. So, I don't ever want to go in there," says homeowner Collete Hackman.

But while the house was a total loss, the family didn't lose everything. The same neighbors who called 911 pulled Hackman's 23-year-old son from the fire.

"We ran through here.The smoke was coming through this door right here."

LaFontaine and her husband were coming home from a late night shopping trip when they noticed smoke coming from their neighbor's house. Sonya called 911 and woke up the other members of her family.

When Sonya's aunt and uncle heard moaning coming from inside the house, they opened the door and pulled the man to safety.

"An angel. That's what I say," says Hackman. "There was an angel or somebody watching to have somebody notice and stop and be courageous to do something like that. A stranger."

"All he kept saying was, 'I could have died mom. I could have died.' That's all he was saying," says Hackman.

"If it wasn't for them going in while the house was on fire, while the house was smoking, to grab my brother, he wouldn't be here today," says Jaelyn Pritchett the survivor's sister. "He could have died from carbon monoxide poisoning or he could have burned up in there. So, it meant a lot. It did.

To show their appreciation, Pritchett and Hackman put together a gift basket for their neighborhood heroes. Having lost most of their possessions in the fire, they had to start from scratch.

"I'm glad I finally met Sonya who saved my son's life. If it wasn't for her, who knows what would have happened to him," says Hackman.

Hackman says she'll never go back inside the house. And she thanks God everyday for the angel who saved her son's life.

The Mandan Moose Lodge will be hosting a benefit for the family on March 27. They'll serve Indian Tacos from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Powered by WorldNow
    Powered by WorldNow
    All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KFYR. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.