Minot shooting suspect charged with murder

MINOT, N.D. – State prosecutors have filed a formal murder charge against 38-year-old Kommika Gregory, the suspect in Thursday’s fatal shooting in south Minot.

According to a criminal complaint filed Friday morning, a man told investigators that Gregory, his ex-girlfriend, entered the apartment in the 1800 block of South Main Street, and threatened him, demanding that he leave with her.

The victim, a 58-year-old man, overheard the argument and tried to intervene, repeatedly telling Gregory she needed to leave.

The man said he heard gunshots, and saw Gregory holding the gun and saw the victim with three gunshot wounds to the chest and abdomen.

The man said that Gregory left the scene in a blue car and took the gun with her.

Paramedics pronounced the victim dead at the scene.

Police set up a perimeter around Gregory’s southeast Minot address, but officers only found a child who told them he had been left home alone overnight.

Officers used a cell phone from the child to call Gregory, who appeared to take responsibility, telling officers she did not want “it to go down that way” and agreed to turn herself in to law enforcement, but did not follow through.

Authorities in New Town arrested Gregory without incident late Thursday afternoon.

Gregory made her initial appearance Friday morning in North Central District Court.

She remains in custody in Minot on a $1 million bond, and will appear for her preliminary hearing and arraignment Dec. 19.

She faces the chance of life in prison if convicted on the AA-felony murder charge.

We are withholding the victim’s name at this time, out of respect for the family.