Minot Fire Department says use caution when heating homes

By  | 

MINOT, N.D. - With temperatures in the single digits and dropping, many people are turning up the heat in their homes.

The Minot Fire Department says people should still use caution when turning on their heating systems and to always be sure that their carbon monoxide detectors are working.

“This time of year it's important for people, for one thing, to have carbon monoxide detectors because heating systems are intact so there are more possibilities of impure burning which creates carbon monoxide in homes. I would also caution people using space heaters, anything that burns fuel in a home that doesn't have decent ventilation, because the fumes can cause issues and can also create carbon monoxide build up,” said Lonnie Sather, Minot Fire Department Battalion Chief.

He says it's also important to make sure you have a working smoke detector too.