Pet Owners Beware: Rat Poisoning on the Rise | VideoEric Steltzer | 1/21/2011
Dr. Vince Stenson says cases of rat poisoning involving dogs in Williston are on the rise.
"With oil activity and more out buildings, sheds and shops and things like that there`s just more places for rats and mice to live and probably more dogs are spending times in these places with their owners" says Stenson.
Just this week, Stenson saved the lives of two dogs from rat poisoning.
He says, "The key is not to wait until the signs occur. The signs typically take two, three, four, five days to show up. So if we can start the antidote before the symptoms show up the prognosis is excellent."
Signs include labored breathing, pale gums, or bleeding from the mouth or nose. He says if your dog gets into rat poisoning, get them to the vet no matter what.
"The animal basically bleeds to death. More times they bleed to death into their chest cavity or into their abdominal cavity, but they can also bleed out from their mouths" says Stenson
Once the animal is brought to the Vet, he can administer Vitamin-K, which helps remove the toxins from the dog`s body.
He says if you have a dog, and a rat problem, there are alternative methods available. Look for poisons that are not anti-coagulant or you can even use spring loaded traps.
It is also important to keep the packaging of any poisons you`ve used. Because being able to quickly identify the chemical that the dog got into, makes it easier for veterinarian to keep your pet from dying.
Dr. Stenson says there`s been a nearly 50 percent increase in rat poisoning cases in the last 10 years.
Dogs are attracted to the taste of rat poison. The doctor says they are grain based and taste good to dogs.